Race Week News
2021 OHC Registration is Open
April 17, 2021
Dear Opera House Cup Skippers, Captains, Owners, and Friends,
We are excited to announce the opening of registration for the 49th Opera House Cup Regatta, August 22, 2021. The Notice of Race is HERE. We look forward to welcoming you to Nantucket.
Some news for this year:
The Opera House Cup continues its tradition to require wooden hulls and to not allow spinnakers. However, in response to feedback from many of you, we are implementing the following changes to the race:
- We will use the CYOA Divisions of Vintage, Classic, Modern Classic, and Spirit of Tradition
- We may create one-design divisions if there are 4 or more boats of the same class
- We may create a Schooner Division depending on the number that register
- Historic and replica boats that might not otherwise qualify for the OHC are invited to apply for the Invitational Division
- OHC Trophies
- The overall winner(s) will be:
- The plank-on-frame boat with the best corrected time, and
- The boat with the best corrected time
- There will be a new Corinthian Trophy awarded to the boat with the best corrected time sailed by an all-amateur crew
- The Commodores Cup will be awarded to the boat with the best combined performance in the Nantucket Regatta and the Opera House Cup
- The overall winner(s) will be:
- Starts and Courses
- There will be a pursuit start
- There will be a windward leg on the course
- There may be a separate reaching course for the Schooners
- We are planning a new Race Week Village for registration, merchandise sales and sponsor displays; informal crew dinners for Friday and Saturday evenings; and the Opera House Cup Awards party for Sunday evening, pending government health and safety guidelines. Details on events will be coming when we know what we can do.
Registration for the Nantucket Regatta, August 20-21,2021 is also open. The Nantucket Regatta has no limitations on hull material or sails. The courses will be racing courses, such as windward/leeward and windward/leeward with reaches. We will have a long reaching course for schooners.
Both the Opera House Cup and the Nantucket Regatta are part of the 2021 Classic Yachts Challenge Series, organized by the Classic Yacht Owners Association.
We have a limited number of moorings reserved for boats <55' LOA, registered in the OHC and the Nantucket Regatta. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a mooring. Boats over 55' need to make their own reservations with Nantucket Moorings or the Nantucket Boat Basin. Moorings, dock space and the anchorage are all extremely limited, so make your reservation as early as possible.
If you haven't already done so, you will need to update your CRF rating for 2021. You can register for the OHC and Nantucket Regatta prior to receiving your new rating, and we will update your rating once it is available.
All race documents and information will be posted on the digital notice board on the OHC and NRW websites.
Nantucket Race Week and the Opera House Cup are the primary fundraising events for Nantucket Community Sailing, and allow NCS to teach 1,000 kids to sail and provide $150,000 in financial aid and free sailing to underserved children and adults each year. Please consider a sponsorship or Friends of the Cup donation, and thank you for your support.
The Opera House Cup Committee