Race Week News
Registration open for Opera House Cup and Nantucket Regatta
March 15, 2022
REGISTRATION OPENS FOR THE NANTUCKET REGATTA AND THE 50th OPERA HOUSE CUP REGATTA
March 15, 2022
Nantucket Community Sailing would like to invite you to participate in the Nantucket Regatta presented by Triago, August 19-20, 2022, and the 50th Opera House Cup Regatta presented by Blue Flag Partners, August 21, 2022. Both regattas are part of the Classic Yacht Owners Association Classic Yacht Series. This is a special year for the Opera House Cup, and we are excited to announce a full weekend of racing and social events to celebrate.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 19
- The Nantucket Regatta presented by Triago (day one) -- for boats >24' with a CRF or PHRF rating
- Casual Crew Social/Dinner at Cisco Brewery
- The OHC 50th Gala – black tie fundraising event celebrating the Opera House Cup at the Nantucket Hotel, featuring dinner, dancing to the Perry Rossi Orchestra, live and silent auctions
Saturday, August 20
- The Nantucket Regatta presented by Triago (day two)
- Classic Yacht Exhibition, boats on display designed by some of the greatest wooden boat designers of the past century at Straight Wharf, Nantucket Boat Basin
- Sponsor Party on board a private luxury yacht, Nantucket Boat Basin
- NR/OHC Crew Dinner and Awards Ceremony at the Great Harbor Yacht Club
Sunday, August 21
- Parade of Wooden Boats, accompanied by a brochure with photos and descriptions of all OHC competitors
- Rainbow Fleet Parade around Brant Point Lighthouse
- 50th Opera House Cup Regatta presented by Blue Flag Partners, for wooden boats >24' with a CRF rating
- Opera House Cup Awards Party under the tents at Jetties Beach
Registration for both regattas is now open HERE. The Notice of Race documents will be posted soon. You will need a 2022 CRF rating to compete, which you can get HERE, but you can register for the NR and OHC regattas prior to getting a rating and we'll add your rating when available.
Discounts for 2021 competitors
We were disappointed to have to cancel the Nantucket Regatta and the Opera House Cup Regatta last year due to the impending hurricane, and are grateful to all our competitors and donors for their understanding and support. In appreciation, Nantucket Community Sailing will offer all 2021 registrants a discount on their Nantucket Regatta registration ($50 discount on the $200 registration fee) and Opera House Cup registration ($150 discount on the $300 registration fee) if you register before April 30, 2022.
OHC 50th Gala – Table sponsorships for the Gala start at $5,000 and will be available in March. If you cannot come to the Gala, we encourage you to make an OHC 50th Anniversary donation in honor of your favorite OHC boat, and you and the boat will be listed in the Gala program.
OHC Awards Party at Jetties Beach – in honor of the 50th OHC, boats will be able to reserve tables at the Awards Party in advance so that your crew can sit together. We are working to make the night extra special.
Registration for all Nantucket Race Week and Opera House Cup social events will open later in the season.
Opera House Cup Regatta information
Last year we announced some significant changes to the Opera House Cup Regatta, based on interviews with many participants. The changes include:
- Boats will be scored using the Classic Yacht Owner's Association (CYOA) Divisions
- There will be one or two Overall Trophy Winners – for the plank-on-frame boat with the best corrected time and for the boat with the best corrected time
- Pursuit start
- Addition of a windward leg
- Corinthian trophy – For the boat with the best corrected time with an all amateur crew
- The Invitational Division for boats not eligible to compete for the Opera House Cup Trophy but contribute to the overall spectacle of the regatta
- Commodores' Cup – For the boat with the best combined corrected time for the Nantucket Regatta and Opera House Cup, including Invitational Division boats
What remains the same:
- All boats must have a wooden hull or be historically significant
- No spinnakers
- Divisions may be created for one design classes, such as Alerions, 12 Metres, and Concordias
- Amateur and family crews are encouraged
Moorings and Slips
Nantucket Harbor moorings and dock slips are limited, and there is little anchorage space, so we strongly recommend that you reserve NOW. Please do not wait until summer, because there will not be anything available then.
o Nantucket Moorings reservations are available now through DOCKWA
o Nantucket Boat Basin slip reservations are available now
If you get stuck, Nantucket Community Sailing has reserved a limited number of moorings from August 18 – 22 and we will do our best to help you.
Nantucket accommodations in August are expensive and hard to find. Please make your arrangements as soon as possible. Nantucket Accommodations at 508-228-9559 can help with hotels, B&Bs and house rentals.
Thank you to our Sponsors
Blue Flag Partners is an integrated collection of investment, real estate, construction and hospitality industry experts who are, first and foremost, explorers. Their focus is luxury hospitality and residential projects in the Northeast, including some extraordinary properties on Nantucket. The Blue Flag logo honors the iconic nautical flag that signals the beginning of a voyage, and exemplifies the spirit of Blue Flag's team in creating bold, inviting, and exceptional projects.
Triago is a global integrated team offering comprehensive services to the private equity community, helping General Partners and Limited Partners with every aspect of their fundraising, secondary, and strategic development operations. Triago's 30 years of experience provides their clients with exceptional market intelligence, connections, and innovative options.
Nantucket Community Sailing
Nantucket Race Week and the Opera House Cup are the primary fundraising events for Nantucket Community Sailing, a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization. Your support allows NCS to teach 1,000 kids to sail and provide $150,000 in scholarships and free sailing to underserved children and adults each year. Since our founding in 1994 we have taught 15,000 children and granted over $1M in sailing scholarships. Your registration, sponsorship and Friends of the Cup donation directly support our sailing programs.
For further information: 508-228-6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org