Race Week News
Opera House Cup and Nantucket Regatta Registration Open
March 13, 2023
REGISTRATION OPENS FOR THE NANTUCKET REGATTA AND THE 51st OPERA HOUSE CUP REGATTA
March 13, 2023
Nantucket Community Sailing would like to invite you to participate in the Nantucket Regatta, August 18-19, 2023, and the 51st Opera House Cup Regatta presented by Blue Flag Partners, August 20, 2023. Both regattas are part of the Classic Yacht Owners Association Classic Yacht Challenge Series.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 18
- The Nantucket Regatta (day one) -- for boats >24' with a 2023 CRF or PHRF-NE rating
- Nantucket Race Week 20th Anniversary Party with food trucks, raw bar, and band at the Nantucket Yacht Club
Saturday, August 19
- The Nantucket Regatta (day two)
- Classic Yacht Exhibition, Straight Wharf, Nantucket Boat Basin
- Sponsor Party on board a private luxury yacht, Nantucket Boat Basin
- NR/OHC Crew Dinner and Awards Ceremony at the Great Harbor Yacht Club
Sunday, August 20
- Parade of Wooden Boats out of the harbor, accompanied by a brochure with photos and descriptions of all OHC boats
- Rainbow Fleet Parade around Brant Point Lighthouse
- 51st Opera House Cup Regatta, for wooden boats >24' with a 2023 CRF rating
- Opera House Cup Awards Party under the tents at Jetties Beach
Registration for both regattas is now open HERE. The Notice of Race documents will be posted soon. You will need a 2023 CRF rating to compete, which you can get HERE, but you can register for the NR and OHC regattas prior to getting a rating and we'll add your rating when available.
Nantucket Regatta registration fees:
Racing 8/18 and 8/19
Racing 8/19 only
Additional late fee after Aug 9
Opera House Cup Regatta registration fees:
Additional late fee after Aug 9
Registration for all Nantucket Race Week and Opera House Cup social events will open later in the season. You will continue to have the ability to reserve a table for your crew at the OHC Awards Party.
Opera House Cup Regatta information
Over the past couple years we implemented some significant changes to the Opera House Cup Regatta, based on interviews with many participants. The changes include:
- Boats will be scored using the Classic Yacht Owner's Association (CYOA) Divisions
- There will be one or two Overall Trophy Winners – for the plank-on-frame boat with the best corrected time and for the boat with the best corrected time
- Pursuit start
- Addition of a windward leg
- Corinthian trophy – For the boat with the best corrected time with an all amateur crew
- Commodores' Cup – For the boat with the best combined corrected time for the Nantucket Regatta and Opera House Cup, including Invitational Division boats
- The Invitational Division for boats not eligible to compete for the Opera House Cup Trophy but contribute to the overall spectacle of the regatta
What remains the same:
- All boats must have a wooden hull or be historically significant
- No spinnakers
- No square-top mainsails
- White, cream or tan bark sails
- Divisions may be created for one design classes, such as Alerions, 12 Metres, and Concordias
- Amateur and family crews are encouraged
Moorings and Slips
- Nantucket moorings and dock slips are limited, and there is little anchorage space, so we strongly recommend that you reserve NOW. Please do not wait until summer, because there will not be anything available then.
o Nantucket Moorings reservations are available as of March 15 through DOCKWA
o Nantucket Boat Basin slip reservations are available now
- Nantucket Community Sailing has reserved a limited number of moorings for the nights of August 17 – 20 available to participants on a first-come basis. We ask that you reimburse NCS for the cost of the mooring.
- Nantucket accommodations in August are expensive and hard to find. Please make your arrangements as soon as possible. Nantucket Accommodations at 508-228-9559 can help with hotels, B&Bs and house rentals.
Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor
Blue Flag Partners is an integrated collection of investment, real estate, construction and hospitality industry experts who are, first and foremost, explorers. Their focus is luxury hospitality and residential projects in the Northeast, including some extraordinary properties on Nantucket. The Blue Flag logo honors the iconic nautical flag that signals the beginning of a voyage, and exemplifies the spirit of Blue Flag's team in creating bold, inviting, and exceptional projects.
Nantucket Race Week and the Opera House Cup are the primary fundraising events for Nantucket Community Sailing, a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization. Your support allows NCS to teach 1,000 kids to sail and provide $150,000 in scholarships and free sailing to underserved children and adults each year. Since our founding in 1994 NCS has taught 15,000 children and granted over $1M in sailing scholarships. Your registration, sponsorship and Friends of the Cup donation directly support our sailing programs. Thank you.
For further information:
508-228-6600 or firstname.lastname@example.org