Race Week News
Opera House Cup and Nantucket Regatta Update
August 3, 2023
NANTUCKET REGATTA AND OPERA HOUSE CUP REGATTA REGISTRATION and SOCIAL EVENTS
August 3, 2023 - sending again with NORs attached this time
The Notice of Race documents for the Nantucket Regatta, August 18-19, and the 51st Opera House Cup Regatta presented by Blue Flag Partners, August 20, are posted on the online Notice Board and attached below for your reference. Registration is open for all racing and social events HERE. We look forward to welcoming you to Nantucket.
Actions required by you:
- Register now. Late fees start August 10 and we expect some of the social events to sell out.
- While you may register prior to getting your CRF rating, a CRF 2023 rating is required (or PHRF-NE rating for non-classic boats in the Nantucket Regatta). You can get your CRF rating HERE. A CRF rating is required for each boat racing in the OHC.
- We are creating a brochure with a description of every boat in the Opera House Cup, so please register so that we can include your boat. If you do not have a member profile on the Classic Yacht Owners Association site, please send us a photo and short description of your boat. We can pull the basic information off your CRF form.
- Be sure to reserve a mooring or slip (see below).
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 18
- 11:00am Day one of The Nantucket Regatta; $300 registration or $200 if racing only Saturday, $100 additional late fee as of August 10
- 6:30pm NRW 20th Anniversary "Brewery Night" Party at Nantucket Yacht Club, featuring food trucks, live band, and auction; tickets $100 per person plus drinks
Saturday, August 19
- 11:00am Day two of The Nantucket Regatta
- 5:30pm – 7:30pm Classic Yacht Exhibition presented by PURE Insurance on Straight Wharf, featuring 15 beautiful yachts and light refreshments; tickets $25 per person
- 5:30pm – 7:30pm Sponsor Reception on board the magnificent J boat, RANGER, on Straight Wharf, Nantucket Boat Basin
- 7:00pm Crew Dinner and Nantucket Regatta Awards Ceremony at the Great Harbor Yacht Club, featuring two buffet stations including crab cake sliders, pulled pork sliders, grilled sausage hoagies, salads, and dessert; tickets $75 per person plus drinks
Sunday, August 20
- 9:00am Course announcement over VHF channel 74
- 9:30am Parade of Wooden Boats out of Nantucket Harbor, accompanied by a brochure with photos and descriptions of the OHC competitors
- 9:30am OHC Check-in vessel on station outside the jetty. Check-in from your boat by sailing by the stern of the check-in vessel, BELLE, a 77' 1929 wooden motor yacht.
- 9:40am Rainbow Fleet Parade around Brant Point Lighthouse
- 10:45am First Warning Signal for the Opera House Cup presented by Blue Flag Partners; $400 registration, $100 additional late fee as of August 10
- 11:00am First start
- 6:00pm – 10:00pm Opera House Cup Awards Party under the tents at Jetties Beach; awards at 7:00pm; reserved tables which include 10 tickets and 10 drink tickets for $1400, or individual tickets at $125 per person plus drinks
Opera House Cup Regatta information
For those who haven't competed in the OHC for a few years, we've made some changes:
- There will be one or two Overall OHC Trophy Winners – for the plank-on-frame boat with the best corrected time and for the boat (excluding Invitational Division) with the best corrected time
- Pursuit start
- Addition of a windward leg, if possible.
- We're moving the Z mark westward from Great Point and adding a shoal indicator (pink flamingo) to help keep boats off the sand
- Corinthian trophy – For the boat with the best corrected time with an all-amateur crew
- Commodores' Cup – For the boat with the best combined corrected time for the Nantucket Regatta and Opera House Cup, including Invitational Division boats
What remains the same:
- All boats must have a wooden hull or be historically significant
- No spinnakers, black sails or square top mainsails, but mizzen staysails are allowed for ketches and yawls.
- Boats will be scored using the Classic Yacht Owner's Association (CYOA) Divisions, although the Organizing Authority may move boats to another division if there aren't enough boats in a division or if a boat doesn't meet the OHC eligibility criteria.
- Divisions may be created for one design classes, such as Alerions, 12 Metres, and Concordias
- The Invitational Division welcomes boats not eligible to compete for the Opera House Cup Trophy but contribute to the overall spectacle of the regatta
- Amateur and family crews are encouraged
Moorings and Slips
- Nantucket moorings and dock slips are limited, and there is little anchorage space, so we strongly recommend that you have a reservation before you arrive
- If you get stuck, Nantucket Community Sailing has reserved a limited number of moorings from August 17 - 20 and we will do our best to help you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nantucket accommodations in August are expensive and hard to find. Please make your arrangements as soon as possible. Nantucket Accommodations at 508-228-9559 can help with hotels, B&Bs and house rentals.
Thank you to our Sponsors
Blue Flag Partners is an integrated collection of investment, real estate, construction and hospitality industry experts who are, first and foremost, explorers. Their focus is luxury hospitality and residential projects in the Northeast, including some extraordinary properties on Nantucket. The Blue Flag logo honors the iconic nautical flag that signals the beginning of a voyage and exemplifies the spirit of Blue Flag's team in creating bold, inviting, and exceptional projects.
PURE is a member-owned property and casualty insurer designed exclusively for financially successful families and driven by a purpose of doing what is right for them. PURE insures unique, custom, luxury homes, vehicles, yachts, jewelry and art collections. By focusing entirely on this space—and welcoming only highly responsible members—PURE can offer more generous coverage and fair pricing.
Thank you for your participation and support for Nantucket Community Sailing
Nantucket Race Week and the Opera House Cup are the primary fundraising events for Nantucket Community Sailing, a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization. Your support allows NCS to teach 1,000 kids to sail and provide $150,000 in scholarships and free sailing to underserved children and adults each year. Since our founding in 1994 we have taught 18,000 children and granted over $1M in sailing scholarships. Your registration, sponsorship and Friends of the Cup donations directly support our sailing programs.
For further information: 508-228-6600 or email@example.com