Race Week News
OHC and Nantucket Regatta Save the Date
December 18, 2023
SAVE THE DATE FOR THE 52nd OPERA HOUSE CUP AND THE NANTUCKET REGATTA
December 18, 2023
Nantucket Community Sailing is inviting you to add Nantucket Island to your summer calendar and join us for Nantucket Race Week with the Nantucket Regatta, August 16-17, and the 52nd Opera House Cup Regatta, presented by Blue Flag Partners, August 18, 2024. Both regattas are part of the Classic Yacht Owners Association Classic Yacht Challenge Series.
The Nantucket Regatta consists of four races over two days and is open to all sailboats 24' and over. One design divisions may be formed if there are at least four boats. A CRF or PHRF-NE rating is required. There are no sail or hull material restrictions.
The Opera House Cup is for classic wooden and historically significant yachts 24' and over. All boats will sail the same course of approximately 20 miles. There will be a pursuit start with the start time based on the boat's CRF rating. There are some sail restrictions, including no spinnakers. The OHC Invitational Division welcomes boats that do not meet the OHC eligibility criteria and therefore do not qualify to win the overall OHC trophy, but are classic designs and contribute to the spectacle of the regatta. One design divisions may be formed if there are at least four boats.
Schedule of Events
Friday, August 16
- The Nantucket Regatta (day one) -- for boats >24' with a 2024 CRF or PHRF-NE rating
- Nantucket Community Sailing 30th Anniversary Gala, The Nantucket Hotel
Saturday, August 17
- The Nantucket Regatta (day two)
- Classic Yacht Exhibition, Straight Wharf, Nantucket Boat Basin
- Sponsor Party on board a private luxury yacht, Nantucket Boat Basin
- 'Brewery Night' Party with food trucks, raw bar, and band, Nantucket Yacht Club
Sunday, August 18
- Parade of Wooden Boats out of the harbor, accompanied by a brochure with photos and descriptions of all OHC boats
- Rainbow Fleet Parade around Brant Point Lighthouse
- 52nd Opera House Cup Regatta, for wooden boats >24' with a 2024 CRF rating
- Opera House Cup Awards Party under the tents at Jetties Beach
Registration for both regattas will open in March. Nantucket moorings and dock slips are limited, and there is only a small anchorage area inside the harbor, so we encourage you to reserve your space soon.
- Nantucket Moorings reservations are available March 15 through DOCKWA
- Nantucket Boat Basin slip reservations are available mid-January
Nantucket Race Week and the Opera House Cup are the primary fundraising events for Nantucket Community Sailing, a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit organization. Your support allows NCS to teach 1,000 kids to sail and provide $150,000 in scholarships and free sailing to hundreds of underserved children and adults each year. Thank you.
Best wishes for the holiday season,
Diana Brown, President and CEO, Nantucket Community Sailing
Phil Smith, Chair, Opera House Cup Committee